Live on the Ray D'Arcy Show!

I really enjoyed being interviewed on RTE's Ray D'Arcy Show by the great man himself about the Computer & Communications Museum that I curate.

I have to say in all sincerity that I was struck by not only the professionalism but also the friendliness, humour and down-to-earth nature of Ray and his assistant Niamh.

Photo shows Ray using a 1980 Sony Walkman and me holding a 1980s Motorola mobile phone (aka the 'Brick') whose inventor Martin Cooper was inspired to create this fantastic hand-held piece of communications technology by the 'Communicator' device ("Beam me up Scotty" says Captain Kirk!) from the 1960s children's science fiction television programme Star Trek. Thankfully as a diehard Trekkie fan since my childhood, I am so happy that this series is still with us!

I am glad to report that this great technology heritage facility, that was co-founded by myself and my dearly departed friend Chris Coughlan whom I miss so much, and which has been available for school, university, digital maker, community, heritage and business group visits since 2012, is now open to the general public from 2pm to 4pm every Saturday.
Well worth a visit!

I also enjoyed an interview earlier this week on the same subject with Pat Coyne on Connemara Radio- local community radio at its best.

Supported by the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics (previously DERI) at the University of Galway since its inception, the museum is now managed by an independent board of wonderful experienced techies under the chairpersonship of Philip Cloherty whose members are Frank McCurry, Liam Ferrie, Pat Moran, Alanna Kelly and Tom Frawley.

2 comments:

Mac said...

Great to hear you Brendan. You still have your Dublin accent after so many years in Galway. A joy to hear. Next time we're in Ireland I hope to visit that museum. Started working in communications with Dept P&T in 1975 and then 31 years of computers with IBM, I have seen the changes. Keep blogging and keep up the good work.
Mac

Brendan 'Speedie' Smith said...

And it was so good to hear from you too Mac!!
Wow! You have worked with some greats- the Irish P&T and Big Blue (IBM). We have exhibits from both at the museum and I look forward to showing you around it when next you are in Ireland.
Have a read of my latest blog on the Shannon telephone from the 1980s which will bring back to you I hope happy memories of P&T!