My Writings (I hope!) reflect my Guiding Principles: -'Enjoy Life to the Utmost but not at other people's expense'-'Think Global, Act Local'-'Variety is the Spice of Life'-'Use Technology & Wisdom to Make the World A Better Place for All God's Creatures'-'Do Not Accept Injustice No Matter Where You Find It'-'Laughter is the Best Medicine'
The Long Goodbye Part 2: The Last of my Species!
A few weeks ago my 22 year involvement with university science research centres ended
With a vision of Empowering Citizens & creating Smarter Societies, the multi-university Insight Centre for Data Analytics-which helped secure for Ireland a reputation for data-driven research & innovation in fields such as connected health, sensor technology, environmental analytics & human computer interaction-completed its funded research programme. Insight & ADAPT Centre have now become 'Rinn AI', Ireland’s national centre for data & AI research
So as Insight’s tenure ended, I felt that it was an opportune time for me to do likewise, to retire from my role as a university research centre Educational & Public Engagement(EPE) Manager & to move onto pastures new.
In summer 2024, I attended the first meeting of what were then referred to as ‘Outreach’ Officers of the recently established research centres operating under Science Foundation Ireland(SFI). Of those that were at that inaugural gathering in Dublin, I’ve been for many years the only one still doing the same job
At one level, I could be viewed as the last of my species!
Though it was a voluntary decision to leave, it was not an easy one. For I leave behind good friends & colleagues at a world class science reasearch centre and at the University of Galway who helped me in delivering educational programmes to schools, communities & businesses across Ireland
And I’ll deeply miss the fantastic teachers, children & youth that I have been involved with through my EPE work at Insight & its predecessor the Digital Enterprise Research Institute(DERI) of University of Galway
I am proud that we helped pioneer learning initiatives which have brought benefits to so many: in co-creating Citizen Science & Engaged Research projects, hosting the Computer & Communications Museum, establishing DSI’s Virtual Reality Lab, providing a travelling laptop lab for schools, & Digital Makers training/facilities, mentoring Internet Safety sessions for all ages, coordinating STEM & STEAM workshops, setting up Computer Rooms in IPAS centres, training teachers to create their first school websites, facilitating rural communities in digitising stories/photos from long ago, upgrading with the Access Centre older laptops to be used by families in social need, & assisting the annual Galway Science & Technology Festival.
In an era when climate denial is on the rise & governments are rolling back on their commitments, I intend to now spend more time working with others to tackle the ever growing & interlinked Climate & Biodiversity Crises through the Galway National Park & Terryland Forest Park projects. But I’ll also continue to develop further the Computer & Communications Museum, complete the schools-based BEO online local heritage project & to finally write the long overdue book about Galway during my student days(which promises to be a fascinating & fun read!). A busy time awaits!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment